listSlots = ls

Ralph Mellor ralphatdimp.com at bespin.org
Mon Sep 18 16:49:42 PDT 2000

used at a command line interactively, listSlots is clearly
suggestive of ls. have you considered renaming or aliasing
listSlots to ls? and continuing with ls -a, cd, ...?

in the tutorial (http://www.tunes.org/~water/slate-tutorial.html),
you say:

    So how do we get back to the playground? Well, objects
    have slots just for this purpose: the '<' slot brings up the
    object's enclosing namespace when invoked. So, given the
    evaluator's state after the above example, if we enter:

    myPoint> .

i expected you to say:

    myPoint> <

the specific syntax you use ('.') isn't a problem in and of itself,
but i didn't expect it based on the previous paragraph.

i would certainly find any of these especially appealing:

    myPoint> /

or

    myPoint> ..

or better still

    myPoint> cd ..

----

note that:

    ping diktuon.arrow.cx got me 'unknown host'
    the mailing list archives stop at june (no posts since?)

----

i was last able to significantly indulge my love of comp
languages in the late 80s. at the end of that period, beta
and clos were probably my favorite languages. as such,
it won't come as a surprise that i think you are headed
in the right direction.

--
Ralph Mellor: http://www.dimp.com/ralphmellor.html   615.292.2917 x2
If I had my life over, I'd study reincarnation.        icq# (later)