listSlots = ls

Brian Rice water at mail.tscnet.net
Mon Sep 18 13:41:10 PDT 2000

Quoting Ralph Mellor <ral.phatdimp.com at bespin.org>:

> used at a command line interactively, listSlots is
clearly
> suggestive of ls. have you considered renaming or
aliasing
> listSlots to ls? and continuing with ls -a, cd, ...?
>
> in the tutorial (http://www.tunes.org/~water/slate-
tutorial.html),
> you say:
>
>     So how do we get back to the playground? Well,
objects
>     have slots just for this purpose: the '<' slot
brings up the
>     object's enclosing namespace when invoked. So,
given the
>     evaluator's state after the above example, if we
enter:

>     myPoint> .
>
> i expected you to say:
>
>     myPoint> <
>
> the specific syntax you use ('.') isn't a problem in
and of itself,
> but i didn't expect it based on the previous
paragraph.

> i would certainly find any of these especially
appealing:

>     myPoint> /
>
> or
>
>     myPoint> ..
>
> or better still
>
>     myPoint> cd ..

Yes, this will definitely be possible even in a
moderately-well developed environment. Basically, a lot
of the issues of user-interface to the language will
rely on some work I am doing on quotation and syntactic
abstraction. Basically, you can take the examples I've
been giving as "raw Slate". In this sense, Slate is
much more of an object calculus than a full language
per se.

> i was last able to significantly indulge my love of
comp
> languages in the late 80s. at the end of that period,
beta
> and clos were probably my favorite languages. as such,
> it won't come as a surprise that i think you are
headed
> in the right direction.

Okay, thanks.

For the next 7 days I will have to keep my posts short,
but after that I will have much more to say, and I
promise much better and updated documentation. The
ideas for Slate have been developing and accruing
detail lately, but I have been hesitant to commit some
of the ideas because of their novelty and lack of
testing. At any rate, expect a new Slate.lisp sometime
soon (or perhaps a Slate.st).

Thanks,
~

This mail sent through Sinclair's WebMail
      http://mail.sinclair.net