Brick update (or what passes for one around here ;-)

Glenn Alexander glenalec at shoalhaven.net.au
Tue Jul 22 02:03:49 PDT 2003

On Tuesday 22 July 2003 16:16, Brian T Rice wrote:
> Hm, Qt (or is that KDE?) on framebuffer or something. It looks
decent
> enough. The buttons should probably just be flat squares, to present
big,
> comfy targets for styluses or fingers.

I just screen-grabbed what is on my desktop at the moment (KDE 3.1.2)
rather than muck around for hours in GIMP drawing new buttons and
stuff. KDE is pretty good looking, but it's all in C++ (pronounced
'C-choke-choke') and I wouldn't even try to re-program anything :-(.
On Brick the user could, of course, set the buttons to look like
whatever turned them on. My screen-shot mock-ups probably represent
what would happen if someone canabalised the KDE graphics ;-)

> Anyway, you might want to check out Squeak's Dynapad project:
> http://spe.sf.net/ (supposed to be heavily updated soon),
> or Faure: http://russell-allen.com/squeak/faure/

Interesting, but not what I have in mind. I like my splitting up of
screen real-estate into bands(of course, that doesn't mean anyone else
will like it too!) and I am thinking forward to some more ideas that
aren't clear enough in my own head to get on a page yet. 3D worlds and
immersive environments, mainly.

The UI banding idea came about as I attempted to get certain
non-negotiable aspects of my ideal PDA onto an ever smaller screen.
What I had in mind at first was much more rigid and only would have
worked in a 4:3 aspect ratio. And that would have forced me into a
book-sized PDA at minimum, and I am thinking phone-sized is a better
minimum. And being able to scale easily up to mega-pixel resolutions
on the same UI is a good idea, I feel. One UI to rule them all, and
all that ;-).

Although I am thinking down to PDA level, my prototype is currently
planned to be a sub-notebook with a 512x384 display. Have a look at
the Branium DreamMax:
http://www.brainium.com/content.asp?page=dreammax
:or recall the Newton eMate to get the idea. I think the education
area would be the most sensible place to target with a slate-based
system initially especially with the traditional SmallTalk et. al.
focus on getting into the code and hacking things about every which
way. IT education at primary/secondary school level was my major at
Uni. and is a big area of interest for me. And If I can get a system
cheap enough and working in Chinese, there is a rather large market
just out my door here!

> Also, I noticed you're playing the Russian film Solaris at the
bottom, a
> real rarity! :)

I just spent 6 months living here in NE-China next-door to an
Argentinian girl with a degree in Russian Literature (studied in
Russia), an Italian passport and a home address in Holland! (She is
now living somewhere in Central Africa). I got to see a lot of
non-English DVDs! There is some really great stuff out there you just
don't see if you only follow the US box office.

Regards, Glenn