Test binaries uploaded. Please test these out.

Brian T Rice water at tunes.org
Tue Jul 29 02:15:39 PDT 2003

I've uploaded some binary-containing packages produced for linux/x86 to:

http://slate.tunes.org/slate-0.1.tgz

ECL on OS X seems to produce a bugged implementation that can't load
files, so there's no release of that yet. I have yet to hear of a
successful build on Windows of any kind. Lee uses Slate's binary on
linux/ppc, so this is also possible and indicates some robustness, but not
many people use that platform. I may just get the OpenMCL build working
and stick with a packaged release of that.

There are a few critical bugs left due to my stream refactorings,
primarily in RandomStream (which prevents the LifeGame demo from running),
which I want to eliminate before making this public.

Streams are used nearly everywhere, so for this reason I need to take care
of the remaining issues before stamping it with "final". (This also points
out why I need some really comprehensive unit testing.. I will probably
port over the ANSI Smalltalk tests or such.)

Also, let me know what form of the programmer's manual should be included.
I will probably place the contents in doc/progman/ , or I could leave the
manual on the web site in its several formats. Which would you prefer?

(Incidentally, I don't seem to have Texinfo output capability yet.)