[Squeak-e] Re: [e-lang] Re: Croquet, Unum questions

Brian T. Rice water at tunes.org
Mon Aug 23 10:27:43 PDT 2004

Hello,

I am a long-time Squeaker, and have been following E and Squeak-E
discussions and issues with interest. I am implementing what I consider
to be a successor system to Squeak, titled "Slate" (see
http://slate.tunes.org) which has been designed at least with expansion
in mind to handle the issues that E does. I am currently working on the
new concurrency mechanisms, and would like to know some details on your
thoughts at this point for Squeak-like languages (after the debate over
a year ago concerning the issues, which I did follow, I'm concerned with
new developments).

Slate has essentially "zero baggage", and deals with a few issues
mentioned previously about making Squeak capability secure (methods
don't return "self" by default, and namespaces are well-structured and
logical). I can elaborate in detail if necessary, but there is also a
manual on our website which should give a good overview.

The virtual machine architecture is less well-documented being a newer
development and just now reaching a stable design, but again it has very
little baggage and no legacy overhead, so it is ripe for considering new
ideas.

As a Squeak user, Croquet's project structure is relatively opaque, but
of course the ideas are still interesting and lie within the field of
projects that I want Slate to provide a better base for than Squeak
currently does.

I don't have specific questions to start with, other than requesting
some detailed overviews of how a Smalltalk-like architecture could be
adapted to support E-like concurrency from the ground up (forgetting how
any Smalltalk currently does it), and to start a discussion about
specifics concerning Slate.

Thank you,
Brian Rice