Multilingualism at programmer level (Was: slate unicode support)

Glenn Alexander glenalec at shoalhaven.net.au
Fri Jul 30 17:26:30 PDT 2004

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 22:01, Lendvai Attila wrote:
> at a certain point in the future, this issue will be much
> different. source will be just another object graph, and an
> editor will work on that object graph instead of plain text
> (i.e. no parsing, or in a quite different way).

Query: So, in theory, a programmer with absolutely no English would
then be able to program using keywords in their own language and it
likely wouldn't be too hard to have an editor that auto-translates
other's code in a foreign language to meaningful words in whatever
local language, so that programmer could look into others' code even
if it is not in their native language???? (I imagine such a system
would provide comprehensible, rather than fluent translation, like
human language auto-translation systems, but programmatic code doesn't
read exactly like a natural language anyway).

eg: if I call a local variable in my code 'white_dog', a Chinese
programmer's editor could show it as 'bai_gou' either in pinyin or
characters, the idea being that meaningful variable/object/function
names are carried through to other languages transparently.

This, if I got the idea right, represents a VERY useful thing ffrom my
perspective, as my interest in Slate is its use in the primary
classroom, not necessarily in an English language setting.

> at that point names will be only used for humans, you could
> even remove all names from the code as a simple and effective
> ofuscation, and it would still run just like before.

Query: So the built-in slate standard objects could be tokenised, and
a local language back-translates those tokens to whatever human
language the user wishes to program in??

Is this sort of thing what might be possible *in the long term*? Has
anyone ever done something like this before?

> so I don't think we should concentrate on parsing too much,
> just simply avoid chinese until there's an editor mentioned
> above.

Hard to avoid Chinese when I live in the midst of 1.3 billion of
them ;-). But, yes, if I unserstand the intent of the above, focusing
on the described object graph editor would definitely be the way to
go.

(I'm a hardware tech, not a programmer, so excuse me if my ideas and
understandings are a bit sloppy. Also, I'm not suggesting this as an
immediate focus. I would not be seriously thinking about putting
resources into that sort of internationalisation until after 1.0. I'm
just interested if this is possible/worthwhile.)

Regards,
Glenn
Glenn Alexander
(B.Teach, B.Ed Major IT Education, University of Wollongong Australia)
Home site: http://www.shoalhaven.net.au/~glenalec
Jabber:    glenalec @ jabber.org

I use GNU/Linux: http://www.gnu.org / http://www.linux.org
from Debian: http://www.debian.org