Pointers in Slate.

Pupeno pupeno at pupeno.com
Wed Nov 10 13:15:49 PST 2004

Je Merkredo Novembro 10 2004 15:45, Brian Rice skribis:
> I don't know. You took on the responsibility for these decisions when
> you decided to write a backend. Read the code for files and how
> external identifiers are passed in and out. Maybe that will give you an
> idea (basically using asSmallInt), but you still have to make decisions
> based on how the system you're working on needs to behave - you might
> need an indirection table or a hash, or something else.
Ok... I'll make an array on the C side to hold the pointers, indexed... and
I'll pass the indexes to Slate... but, I'd like to make it dynamic, not
static...

> I'm a little disappointed that you've not finished the SDL backend
> first, or at least suitably presented it in a way that can be taken and
> used. So, what's the status of it? What functions work and are
> complete? Are there bugs? Are you still changing the source code
> heavily, or should I pick it up and start integrating it?
What happens was this.
SDL doesn't provide good ways for drawing, I mean, it doesn't provide
primitives such as lines, circles, rectangles, ellipses, arcs, curves. That's
why SDL_gfx is on top of it providing those primitives. But SDL_gfx is very
small, it doesn't provide a lot of primitives that we wanted, so, we had to
code them ourselves (SLD_gfx even provided some primitives that are useless,
like PIE which is an arc with two lines). I decided to drop SDL_gfx and code
the primitives directly into Slate using SDL access of pixel by pixel... but
it was a ton of work... looking for some information in this field, I've
talked with a cairo dev and it happened that cairo is already providing all
those primitives that we need, so, a cairo backend should be ready much
sooner... the bad side is that I had to deal with X... but I think it's all
right.
Note: I'm finishing what I started: a backend for GUI for Slate. The fact that
I changed my path doesn't mean that I'm not doing it... I didn't drop it,
yet.
If someone wants to go on the SDL, what I've done is escentially here:
http://pupeno.com/sdlslate.tar.bz2/view
--
Pupeno: pupeno at pupeno.com - http://www.pupeno.com