i18n library for slate

Olli Pietiläinen ollip at freeshell.org
Sun Oct 3 03:17:56 PDT 2004

> :: The slate-i18n library has reached usable state...
>
> Hi!
>
> Just to give you some inspiration, if there were an UTF16 encoder, we could soon open files with international character in their names, and with user specified encoding... :)
>
> Thanks for the i18n,
>
> - 101

I'm sorry there has been no progress with this. Unfortunately I'm currently
very busy with studies, so I don't have much time for coding. Writing (or
cribbing) an UTF-16 decoder wouldn't take too long, however, so I guess I
could do it after an exam I have after two weeks. No guarantees, whatsoever
:)

I still have interest in working on the library part of the i18n support
(when I have the time), but none for transforming the VM to use the library,
which is the next thing that should be done to make it actually useful.
Would you be interested in doing the VM part? I think the easiest way would
be to first update the current string.slate to contain the definition of
String, and remove all references to String from the VM. After it works with
the current string.slate we could just replace it with the i18n version. I
think we discussed how symbols should be implemented, and concluded that
they should be made ByteArrays encoded in UTF-8. When testing it with the
current string.slate, the UTF-8 transformation obviously wouldn't be needed.

If you're not interested, maybe I'll get more inspired when I have the time.
Someone should do it, eventually ;)

Olli