Some questions on Slate syntax

Lee Salzman lsalzman1 at cox.net
Sat Apr 2 06:11:27 PST 2005

Thinking order does not help, as that was what I was thinking when I
wrote that it makes no intuitive sense to me elsewhere. A given set of
numbers does not describe order, it merely has order. Why do street
addresses start at 1, why does the alphabet start with 'A', why do arrays
start at 0? Because we just said made them so. You have a bijection
between some things with intrinsic order and your symbols (or numbers
or counting numbers or whatever) for manipulating that order, whatever
is handy for the task.  0 is handy.

I can't really find a justification for preferring a given set of
indices for
addressing things other than appealing to handiness. Counting and
ordering are just entirely different concepts to me.

It's all pretty arbitrary and to call it "natural principle" is a bit of
an exaggeration.
I have friends who the mere thought of a number scares them and throws
them into
mental paralysis. So "natural principle" in this case may be better
described as the
lore of mathematicians. Then again, depending on who you talk to, 0 is
an ordinal
number, doh! But if I am going to choose some arbitrary theoretical
stance, I will
choose the one that is handiest for the domain, computers.

Lee