Some questions on Slate syntax

Shaping shaping at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 2 00:32:10 PST 2005

[...] Counting and
> ordering are just entirely different concepts to me.

Think about that statement, one more time, very slowly, whilst focusing only on
the observable.

> It's all pretty arbitrary and to call it "natural principle" is a bit of an
> exaggeration.

If you mean /counting and ordering/ what can be observed (not conceived), then
starting at 1 is not only natural, it is the only possibility.

> I have friends who the mere thought of a number scares them and throws them
> into
> mental paralysis. So "natural principle" in this case may be better described
> as the
> lore of mathematicians. Then again, depending on who you talk to, 0 is an
> ordinal
> number, doh! But if I am going to choose some arbitrary theoretical

You need not choose a theoretical anything.  Just observe.  Don't think so much.
Counting starts at 1, because the smallest number of things you can /observe/ is
1.  I'm pushing this observation, somewhat, because it has powerful implications
for the structure of computing machinery, which, when changed accordingly, will
help you advance computing language, too.

> stance, I will
> choose the one that is handiest for the domain, computers.

It is practical.

The domain, here, is not the computing machine.  The computing machine is a
constraint.  The domain is the space-time-logic problem you express, model, and
exercise with the language running on the machine.

Intellectual expediency can cause mental blind-spots in the long run.  Use with
care.

Shaping