Some questions on Slate syntax

Brian Rice water at tunes.org
Sat Apr 2 14:43:23 PST 2005

On Apr 2, 2005, at 2:37 PM, David Hopwood wrote:
> Anyway, isn't this discussion a bit redundant as long as Slate's
> indexing
> semantics is not going to be changed? I sincerely hope it isn't going
> be changed.

No offense is intended to anyone's ideas, but this is definitely
redundant. There are much more important issues at stake in a language
design than the index base. And, as stated, for the most part, no one
should be coding with explicit dependence on the index base unless they
are extending the base Sequence methods. Even then, they could be made
abstract over the index base by using indexFirst and indexLast
messages; this might be worthwhile once we get an inlining optimizing
compiler online.