New features

Brian Rice water at tunes.org
Wed Apr 13 14:38:07 PDT 2005

On Apr 13, 2005, at 12:32 PM, Brian Rice wrote:
> Currying, which has actually been in the image for a while, provides
> methods <-, <-1, <-2, ... <-* to eliminate the Nth argument (* for
> last) of the block given on the left, filling it with the value of the
> right argument. It returns a new block. Right now, this is
> unoptimized, but that should be fixed shortly with a byte-code
> compiler extension.

Actually, it is optimized, and I was for some reason referring to the
wrong file. This basically means it has really low overhead compared to
creating a block wrapper in ordinary (non-implementation dependent)
userland which is how the methods are defined.

All the compiler does is specialize generate: selector on: args from:
msg patterns to create optimal bytecode - it's pretty cool, really,
that we can do this.