Visual Studio Express 2005 Beta

Brian Rice water at tunes.org
Sat Jan 1 11:15:09 PST 2005

On Jan 1, 2005, at 10:38 AM, Todd Fleming wrote:

> Shaping wrote:
>> Happy New Year!
>>
>> I suppose that everyone is using the Visual Studio 2005 beta, based
>> on the 8.0 version of the slate.sln.  I began working with this file,
>> fixing the locations of included files.  I tried building, but the
>> compiler could not find windows.h, which apparently does not ship
>> with Express 2005 Beta.  I see references to this online, but can't
>> find a solution.  I don't have an MSDN subscription.  Is there
>> something I can download to fix the problem, or should I reinstalled
>> VS .NET 2003 and point to its include files?  I'm concerned about
>> compatibility problems.  Suggestions are welcome.

Actually, it's just Attila Lendvai who has it, and needs to be more
vocal about what he's doing and its consequences.

> I use VS 2003 with my own personal .sln and .vsp files. It's been a
> while since I've built Slate though; all my ideas depend on a working
> Windows FFI, but my FFI patch was rejected. I also need callback
> support. I thought of doing callbacks myself, but figured that patch
> would also be rejected because of the upcoming native compiler. So, I
> sidelined myself, and am waiting to see what happens.

Ack! I don't like the sound of that at all. :( Callbacks are something
we do need and will be accepted. As for FFI, we have something for that
in the ExternalLibrary tool. Can you extend that for the Windows
platform?