DLL access on Windows

Shaping shaping1 at bellsouth.net
Sun Jan 9 13:42:53 PST 2005

> Here's a quick summary of the Windows console.
>
> The console has 2 modes -- normal and quickedit. It sounds like you're using
> quickedit mode, which is what I use. To copy text, select it using the mouse
> and hit enter. To paste text, click the right mouse button. To scroll through
> command history, use the up and down arrow keys. Unfortunately the console
> doesn't know where a Slate command begins and ends, so it treats each line as
> a command. The Console passes ctrl keys to the application.
>
> In normal mode the console passes most mouse events to the application, except
> for the right mouse button, which brings up a context menu. The properties
> option in the console's system menu has an option to switch between modes. It
> also lets you set a default for new console windows. To see a good example of
> a console application that handles the mouse, switch to normal mode and type
> "edit" and the OS command prompt.

Thank you.

> I'm using XP with SP2. The DLL example I posted works for me.
>
> Make sure that your source files and little.image are compatible with each
> other; you can't mix versions with the type of change I made. The following
> will get new copies that are compatible with each other:

I used the cmd window from within my CVS directory under Slate 0.3, to execute
the first statement.  It seem to update the files.  I then copy this folder tree
to the top level so as not to disturb the original, which I keep for reference,
if needed.  If there is a better way, do tell.

The 'make get-alpha' does not work.  make does not work on my system.  I have no
VS2003 (because I have no doc for it).  I have 2005 Express beta and the XP SP2
SDK.  Doesn't make default to nmake.exe on Windows?  Anyway, there is no windows
target in Makefile (in \windows), so nmake copied to the \windows directory
didn't work either.

So I got the alpha vm.h vm.c and little.image from the website, and changed the
names to statevm.*, per convention.

I then loaded the .sln and rebuilt in VS.  The build worked.  I ran slate
little.image to bootstrap.  (I don't understand why this little.image is
special.  Can someone explain?)  I saved the image as image.work, restarted that
image, copied the DLL example, and it worked!  Cool.

Thanks.

What is the best way to explore the system top down, by example/tutorial?  I am
looking through all documents in \doc, but the Language Manual is not there.  I
found it on the website, earlier.  What other Slate documents are not in the
\doc directory?

Shaping