DLL access on Windows

Shaping shaping1 at bellsouth.net
Sun Jan 9 15:17:08 PST 2005

>> The 'make get-alpha' does not work.  make does not work on my system.  I have
>> no VS2003 (because I have no doc for it).  I have 2005 Express beta and the
>> XP SP2 SDK.  Doesn't make default to nmake.exe on Windows?  Anyway, there is
>> no windows target in Makefile (in \windows), so nmake copied to the \windows
>> directory didn't work either.
>
> Ah. ok. I forgot that not everyone is using MinGW/MSys.

How does this work?

I will be getting another hard drive in about three weeks, at which time I'll
install Linux, and see whether I want to develop there.  I'm thinking about
SuSE, RedHat, and Debian.  I need a recommendation.  Keep in mind that I like
mouse-clicky things, because I already type far too much, and I don't want to be
an administrator (foreseeably).  I spend most of my time on custom-language
development and simulation (OpenGL).

 I also forget
> that not everybody has wget installed. The get-alpha target in the top-level
> Makefile is for Linux and for MinGW/MSys. It invokes wget to fetch the files
> from the website.
>
> I use MingGW/MSys for CVS and for "make get-alpha". I use VS.Net 2003's GUI to
> build and debug. I had GCC building Slate at one point, but debugging with GDB
> is a nightmare, even with the various GUI wrappers available.

Good to know.  Perhaps I should just stick with VS Express 2005 beta.

>> I then loaded the .sln and rebuilt in VS.  The build worked.  I ran slate
>> little.image to bootstrap.  (I don't understand why this little.image is
>> special.  Can someone explain?)  I saved the image as image.work, restarted
>> that image, copied the DLL example, and it worked!  Cool.
>
> The layout of structures in the image must match the layout of the VM's C
> structures. The image also invokes primitives in the VM; these must match. My
> patch added an argument to a primitive. An old image tries to call the
> primitive with too few arguments. kaboom.

Right, but why the different behavior for little.image startup (Hi, there!)
versus startup of my work.image, which returns True?  The two are the same
except for the renaming.

Shaping