beginning of slate code to access SDL_gfx functions

Paul Dufresne dufrp at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 9 18:42:07 PST 2005

>Is there any Slate-related background info on this.
I guess the answer is: not yet.
Except maybe I based part of my work on the LibExternal tutorial written by
Pupeno at:
http://slate.tunes.org:8080/wiki/60  but somehow, it was out of date.

>I guess I need a .dll in the slate.exe directory named 'libSDL_gfx' for
>SDLLib addSlot: #libSDLgfx valued: (ExternalLibrary newNamed:
>'libSDL_gfx').
It would not have to be necessary in the same library. It could be the win32
directory, that is, any default directory for DLL for Windows.
Do you use SDL.dll from the file SDL-1.2.8-win32.zip ?
It is unclear to me if this file contains the library functions that are
under
libSDL_gfx. Anyway, this would probably means that you could copy this
SDL.dll file along your vm.exe file. Then you could change the line in
SDLLib.slate containing:
SDLLib addSlot: #libSDL valued: (ExternalLibrary newNamed: 'libSDL').
to now read for Windows:
SDLLib addSlot: #libSDL valued: (ExternalLibrary newNamed: 'SDL').

Also, the line:
SDLLib addSlot: #libSDLgfx valued: (ExternalLibrary newNamed: 'libSDL_gfx').
in SDLgfxLib.slate would become under Windows:
SDLLib addSlot: #libSDLgfx valued: libSDL.
because I expect the functions found in libSDL_gfx.so in Linux to be in
this SDL.dll file.

>The SDL site says that the high performance version for Win32 uses DirectX.
>  How does >OpenGL fit in?
Although SDL is supposed to let you open Surface that will be render by
OpenGL,
and use OpenGL. I never did it yet. So I can't help you much with this.

I include SDLLib.slate, it need to be loaded before SDLgfxLib.slate.
So, after you have edited both files:
load: SDLLib.slate.
If you get Nil, that's already very good, and I'd like to hear from you.
load: SDLgfxLib.slate.
Again, if you would get Nil I would be happy (and surprised), and I'd like
to hear
news from you.

--Paul

--Paul