Renaming newEmpty/newSize: to new &capacity:

Lendvai Attila Attila.Lendvai at netvisor.hu
Tue Jan 18 01:40:49 PST 2005

:: Hello,
::
:: This is a quick notification of a change, and a poll as to
:: whether this
:: suggested renaming has any objections - I am considering
:: altering the
:: collection protocol so that #newEmpty and #newSize: will
:: just be keyword
:: variations on a method #new, the keyword being "capacity"
:: since size is a
:: misnomer.
::
:: This has been under consideration for a long time, and we
:: can keep the old
:: methods in the image for another sub-point release for
:: convenience, but it
:: will require a full bootstrap and a ton of selector
:: replacements in the
:: source code (this is not hard, but can be a nuisance for
:: contributors).
::
:: Any comments/suggestions?

I think Slate is currently in such a shape that this refactoring should
not cause any trouble for anyone (no mission critical systems depend on
it :). IMHO even after 1.0 such things should happen if necessary (with
the appropiate measure); people can either keep an old version or use
the in-image structured editor to rename all references (of course this
assumes we have such an editor... :)

- 101