Updated Programmer's Reference Manual online

"Márton Sasvári (IJ/ETH)" Marton.Sasvari at ericsson.com
Thu Jan 27 01:09:52 PST 2005

Brian Rice wrote:

> I would appreciate feedback on the sections on the traitsWindow (under
> Traits in userland, relatively unobtrusive as it is not normally
> relevant) documentation and some of the other major rewordings. And, of
>
> course, the formatting as usual, although I seem to have most of the
> usual issues (tables, diagrams) handled. I am aware that a few of the
> code examples extend into the margins. Shorter code example suggestions
>
> are welcome. :-)
>
> --
> Brian T. Rice
> LOGOS Research and Development
> http://tunes.org/~water/

Hi,

I was going through the manual roughly and collected the following comments:

1.
Paragraph on case sensitivity of expressions feels to be a sidestep in
the description of expressions in section 2.2. Section starts with
emphesizing message sends, then case sensitivity, then back to
message send classification.

2.
Dispatch in 2.3.4
It is explained that the sequence of arguments determines
method specificity but the distance of roles does this as well. I'm
missing some explanation on how these to measures interwork or what is
the default linearisation (if that term stands without a generic
function concept).

Anyway you may consider this a question.

3.
In the resending section 2.3.6 I could not find out what the
'dispatchArray' argument is/should be in #sendTo:through: calls.

4.
Type Annotations 3.12.3, the example has one input slot in the block and
one local slot. It is explained that type annotations of method input
parameters can be added to the header as well. I looked into
dispatch.slate the other day and have found that the type annotation of
input slots in the header do not need the colon before them despite
being input slots. I suggest to mention this in this section.
I would be interested in the reasons for that actually. Is it to
distinguish them from slot definition? But than they resemple local
slots very much.

5.
The LinkedList description in section 3.6.6 does not mention that this
list assumes that added objects respond to the protocol defined by the
Link prototype. Other collections do not do that. At least that's how
I've understood it when looking at the code.

Marton