libSDL renamed to libSDL-1.2

Paul Dufresne dufrp at
Thu Mar 24 09:18:22 PST 2005

I said before:
>Please note that I changed the "default" name of the SDL plain library, to
>now be libSDL-1.2 rather that of libSDL (the file need an extension like
>.so or .dll). I expect this to avoid to add a symlink when installing SDL.

At the risk of receiving some bricks on the head, I'll probably change it
back to libSDL. The reason I originally made that change is that the
Debian package was giving ''. But now, rebuilding from source
I see that the only link given without version information after .so, is See the result of ls -l /usr/local/lib :total 8536
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     staff          19 Mar 24 11:45 ->
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     staff     2782390 Mar 24 11:45
-rw-r--r--    1 root     staff     5496454 Mar 24 11:45 libSDL.a
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     staff         845 Mar 24 11:45
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     staff          19 Mar 24 11:45 ->
-rw-r--r--    1 root     staff      225102 Mar 18 10:07 libSDL_gfx.a
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     staff         683 Mar 18 10:07
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     staff          20 Mar 24 11:44 ->
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     staff          20 Mar 24 11:44 ->
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     staff      173851 Mar 18 10:07
-rw-r--r--    1 root     staff        1124 Mar 24 11:44 libSDLmain.a

Now, if you decide to build SDL from sources, I really suggest you avoid 
Source snapshot version 1.2 ( Tue Dec 14 )

I don't know if real CVS is better, but this one was giving me problem with
./configure cannot find install-sh
I did fix this by doing automake --add-missing
But then, when come the time to do make install (or rather sudo make 
I had lots of problem with test -z $(libdirectory) || $(mkdirp) 
stuff, or something like this, I go from memory.
Finally I did give up.
Using the plain released code: SDL-1.2.8.tar.gz was really as simple as
sudo make-install


More information about the Slate mailing list