Builds for Windows

Bill Sun billksun at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 24 23:35:33 PST 2005

I just successfully rebuild Slate's VM from a fresh copy of the alpha
branch via "darcs get", although it's windows name is wvm.exe for
release the build, and wdvm.exe for the debug build.  The only thing
that I needed to change in the VC++2005 project file was putting the
quotes on the command that copies vm.h to slatevm.h in the  "includes"
directory.  This is because if the project path contains long directory
names (like the "documents and settings\(username)\" directory), the
path will not be recognized unless it is enclosed in quotes.

I've attached the modified VC++ 2005 project file.  Just replace the
original one with this, and you should be able to build without
problems.

What other dlls are we talking about here?  So far I only know of
SDL.dll and SDL_gfx.dll.  SDL.dll can be downloaded directly from the
SDL website in binary form.  However, SDL_gfx.dll has to be compiled
manually, which, I was not able to do so successfully.  I got a bunch
of link errors when trying to compile using VC++2005, and got a
makefile error when trying to compile with VC6.

Shaping, can you try compiling SDL_gfx.dll?  As I'm not familiar with
VC++ anc C/C++ in general, maybe I'm just missing something really
simple.  You can grab the source here:
http://www.ferzkopp.net/~aschiffler/Software/SDL_gfx-2.0/

I'm willing to provide window builds, but since I'm pretty elementary
on C++, I don't know how to do any compiler optimizations.  So it might
be better to look for someone else *nudges Shaping*.  However, I'm
willing to do it in the short-term until we find someone with more
expertise.  Also, if anyone is willing to take charge of the windows
build, I'm willing to help out.

-Bill Sun