Some questions on Slate syntax

Bill Sun billksun at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 26 15:23:07 PST 2005

1. Why 0-based arrays?

0-based arrays don't seem to be as intuitive and easy to use as
1-based.  If you want to create an array with x elements, the last
element's index is x-1, rather than just plain old x.  Not only is
there an extra calculation involved, but if you're careless or just
happen to typed a typo, you'll get one of those bugs that you'll want
to slap yourself in the face with.

Are there any practical advantages for using 0-based arrays?  I know
many other languages also use 0-based arrays, but are there any other
reasons besides that?

2. Why no arithmetic precedence in binary messages?

Again, it seems more intuitive to include arithmetic precedence as it's
common knowledge.

-Bill Sun