addSlot complicating module handling

Mark Thoma mark.thoma at freenet.de
Mon May 9 07:43:12 PDT 2005

Brian Rice <water <at> tunes.org> writes:
> Type-safety and static analysis are intended to be done in sub-
> contexts of this general system where there are invariants like "no
> one's adding slots arbitrarily". We're not there now, but will be
> sometime in the future.

Will we have this in Slate 1.0 or earlier?

> As for modularity, the Self system came up with a module concept
> oriented to slot-separability which is somewhat detailed here (in
> slide mode, click through for the rest of the explanation): http://
> research.sun.com/self/release_4.0/Self-4.0/Tutorial/Language/
> ImportantObjects/Modules.html
>
> (Top-level of that tutorial: http://research.sun.com/self/release_4.0/
> Self-4.0/Tutorial/index.html)

So you want to annotate all slots with the owner module's name? Is this already
done or will it be implemented together with module unloading?

> And, yes, there is an optimization/binary-compilation framework in
> Slate already, but it is not ready for deployment - see src/mobius/
> optimizer/ and related directories (mapped out in README). We've been
> focussed on design issues before speed.

Do you think Slate will achieve the speed of Java in the general context and be
on par with C in its sub-contexts?

Regards,
Mark