Can an Operating System be written un C-unlike programming language

Lee Salzman lsalzman1 at cox.net
Wed May 11 13:23:44 PDT 2005

It really is dirt simple to write an operating system in Slate. I've written
a few operating systems in C, and I must say, if anything, it is far more
difficult to write them in C than it is in a much more expressive language.

Everyone seems to worry about a few little interrupt stubs and bootloaders,
but for those parts you just use some assembly (which is still even then
written
from within Slate since it has it's own compilation toolchain). This is
only an
extremely small part of the bulk you find in operating systems - again,
I emphasize,
extremely small.

But okay, after you get past the interrupt stubs and the bootloader,
what then?
You have a huge mass of code that requires as good and expressive a language
as any out there to really do right.

So it's not an issue of whether Slate is good enough to make an OS, only
an issue
of when Slate is complete enough to be self-hosting.

Lee