Can an Operating System be written un C-unlike programming language

Steven Shaw steshaw at gmail.com
Wed May 11 17:51:44 PDT 2005

On 5/11/05, Lee Salzman <lsalzman1 at cox.net> wrote:
> It really is dirt simple to write an operating system in Slate.

Cool - let's do it!

I think makes more sense to use an existing bootloader such as grub
rather than rewriting one.

I don't know what you mean by interrupt stub. Don't some some parts of
drivers (I think they call it the top-half in Linux) need to be
interrupt/trap free? Are you saying that that part can be written in a
general way, handing off to regular Slate code? The Slate code becomes
then the "bottom-half" in Linux-speak. I though that the top-half must
reply to the hardware in most cases, so I guess that means there would
be some assembly required in most hardware drivers...?

There will probably also be some assembler parts to handle
synchronisation primitives and maybe task switching... yes?

Steve.