Possible error in common.mk, and compile error in Alpha

Bill Sun billksun at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 3 00:18:25 PST 2005

> += can be repeated per target, so it's not a syntax
> error. Do the
> values make you concerned about the semantics of
> this? Anyway, tell
> me why you think this is a typo.

I was referring to "CLFAGS" as oppose to "CFLAGS.  The
"L" and "F" were flipped.

> You have vm sources and images recorded from Darcs,
> but not the most
> recently bootstrapped materials. Delete vm.c and
> vm.h (and your image
> files most likely) and re-run make to have the
> Makefile invoke wget
> to get the new VM sources, which define
> InterruptFlag. This was
> recently discussed on the mailing list. Then run
> "make bootstrap" to
> run the vm with the latest downloaded image to make
> slate.image.

Oops! I must appologize for making you repeat
yourself.  The email slipped my mind for some reason,
so it didn't ring a bell when I got my error.  I
must've assumed that things were straightened out and
just left it in the back of my head.  On a side note,
I tried deleting vm.c, vm.h, little.image, and even
slatevm.h, but I was still getting a problem with
regards to InterruptFlag. However, involking 'make
clean' did the trick.

> We have not done any work to establish 64-bit
> portability. You are
> going to have to investigate this yourself, for the
> most part. Slate
> should build correctly on regular Ubuntu, however.

Well, good news on this matter. I just successfully
compiled the VM using "make" and was able to finish
the bootstrap sequence.  For those that are
interested, I used GCC-4.0, and installed
ia32-libs-dev.  I added the '-m32' flag to CCFLAGS in
common.mk.  Looks like I'll be able to explore Slate
again, now that 64-bit Ubuntu has become my main OS
and I've finally understood the environment enough to
make this work.

-Bill Sun