Possible error in common.mk, and compile error in Alpha

Brian Rice water at tunes.org
Wed Nov 2 21:41:21 PST 2005

On Nov 2, 2005, at 6:23 PM, Bill Sun wrote:

> Well, as a C development dummy I'm not sure if I
> spotted a typo or not, but here goes:
>
> I did a fresh "darcs get" on Alpha today. In the below
> snippet, that last line where you get "CLFAGS", I was
> wondering if that's suppose to be the same as the line
> above it, as in "CFLAGS".
>
> [CODE]
> ## Platform independent definitions
>
> INCLUDES    += -I${platformdir}/includes -I.
> -I${slateroot}
> CFLAGS      += $(COPTFLAGS) $(INCLUDES)
> -DSLATE_DATADIR=\"$(datadir)\"
> CLFAGS      += -DVERSION=$(VERSION)
> [/CODE]

+= can be repeated per target, so it's not a syntax error. Do the
values make you concerned about the semantics of this? Anyway, tell
me why you think this is a typo.

> Also, I get a compile error in boot.c where the
> compiler states that line 198 has an undeclared
> variable called "InterruptFlag".  Perhaps it was some
> left over debug code?

You have vm sources and images recorded from Darcs, but not the most
recently bootstrapped materials. Delete vm.c and vm.h (and your image
files most likely) and re-run make to have the Makefile invoke wget
to get the new VM sources, which define InterruptFlag. This was
recently discussed on the mailing list. Then run "make bootstrap" to
run the vm with the latest downloaded image to make slate.image.

> After I commented out the if block that contained that
> bit of code, the compile when through, however, since
> I was attempting to compile to 32-bit binaries on my
> 64-bit Ubuntu, it became evident that I'm still
> missing some compatible library files as the compile
> aborted after it cannot find a compatible libm file.

We have not done any work to establish 64-bit portability. You are
going to have to investigate this yourself, for the most part. Slate
should build correctly on regular Ubuntu, however.