Condition problems.

Tony Garnock-Jones tonyg at lshift.net
Fri Nov 4 11:56:57 PST 2005

Hi.

Here's a summary of the problems I've been having recently with the
condition system.

First, the problem that led me in the direction of the condition system:
In a fresh image with the socket code loaded, try the following line:

  Net Socket open: 'localhost' port: 80.

The first time, it works - a socket is returned. (Presumably it's
opened, too, I haven't checked that.)

The second time, it fails:

tonyg at tanto:~/src/slate/main$ slate
Slate: Growing heap to 7690560 bytes.
Nil
Slate 18> Net Socket open: 'localhost' port: 80.
returning 3
("UnixSocket" parentResource: Nil. handle: 3. readStream: Nil.
writeStream: Nil.
    locator: ("DNSLocator" port: 80. hostname: 'localhost'). lib: Nil)
Slate 19> Net Socket open: 'localhost' port: 80.
Could not connect to A suitable conversion method could not be found to
convert between these two objects:
("DNSLocator" port: 80. hostname: 'localhost')
Slate: Growing heap to 11884864 bytes.
Slate: Growing heap to 16079168 bytes.
Slate: Growing heap to 24467788 bytes.
Slate: Growing heap to 28662092 bytes.
Slate: Attempted to grow heap beyond limits

Note how it's dying in the ConversionNotFound #describeOn: method. I
wonder if there's some kind of infinite-recursion here?

I made a couple of lisppastes about a few experiments I ran:
http://paste.lisp.org/display/12943 and http://paste.lisp.org/display/12945.

Regards,
  Tony