Access violation

Brian Rice water at tunes.org
Thu Nov 24 20:21:20 PST 2005

This example doesn't give me a segmentation fault on Ubuntu Linux x86
(breezy badger) or OS X 10.4 on G5, even if I repeat it several times.

I assume your VM is up to date (try deleting vm.c and vm.h and using
the "make" rule to force-get the stored VM sources as opposed to the
last-revisioned, even though the VM hasn't changed much in a while).
Were you using any non-standard compiler options (darcs whatsnew
common.mk for example might show some local modifications)?

If the VM is absolutely stock, I'll need to find out why I can't
reproduce the issue; if someone else can try this, it'll help isolate
whether there's a platform issue or something else.

However, I definitely need to finally fix the parse-state-carried-
forward bug before the next release. Perhaps in case of error we can
abort evaluation entirely. I'll look at this tomorrow when I have time.

I also might re-enable the syntax "feature" where period-separators
are optional, since I really don't see what we're gaining without it.
But that's definitely a lower priority, even if it's easy.

Thanks for the report, Todd.

On Nov 24, 2005, at 5:19 PM, Todd Fleming wrote:

> The following causes an access violation under both Linux and
> Windows.  My
> darcs repository (main) is up to date. I fetched fresh copies of
> vm.h, vm.c, little.image, and AutoLoad from alpha, built the VM,
> loaded little.image, and saved it as {lin.image, win.image}.
>
> =======
> todd at debian:~/slate$ ./vm lin.image
> Slate: Growing heap to 6927208 bytes.
> True
> Slate 2> addSlot: #x valued: {4 5 6}.
> The following condition was signaled:
> Error: Line 1: Expected . or } but found Literal
>
> The following restarts are available:
> 0) Abort evaluation of expression
> 1) Quit Slate
>
> Enter 'help.' for instructions.
> Debug [0..1]: The following condition was signaled from within the
> debugger:
> Error: Line 1: Expected . or EndStream but found }
> Debug [0..1]: Nil
> Debug [0..1]: restart: 0.
>
> Slate 3> addSlot: #x valued: {4. 5. 6}.
> Segmentation fault
> =======
>
> The access violation occurs in PSObject_addSlotNamed_valued_.
> obj points to invalid memory.
>
> Todd

- --
- -Brian