Slate wiki ported to MediaWiki

Brian Rice water at tunes.org
Sat Sep 3 09:09:41 PDT 2005

On Sep 3, 2005, at 12:42 AM, Brian Templeton wrote:

> Brian Rice <water at tunes.org> writes:
>
>> Are there any ideas/suggestions in particular on what to do with it?
>
> The "Wiki" link on the static site still points to the Swiki.

Yes, I know. I have a local website repository with a patch for this.
I haven't put it on the web server yet; it will happen shortly, since
I have the below mod_rewrite rule in that you've reminded me of...

> It'd probably be a good idea to use clean URLs, without the
> "index.php" cruft:
>   <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Eliminating_index.php_from_the_url>
> Bespin has .htaccess support disabled, so if you want to do this, use
> the mod_rewrite based solution.

Agreed; thanks for mentioning it. It's now enabled after a little
twiddling on my part. I used: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/
Rewrite_Rules for reference.

> It might be nice to skin the Wiki so it looks similar to the static
> site; either the same design or something that is recognizably similar
> to the static site's design. If you think that's a good idea, and
> nobody else wants to do it, I could try "porting" s.t.o's design to
> MediaWiki, though I probably wouldn't get around to it immediately. (I
> haven't found any good documenation on MediaWiki skins yet, but there
> are some plain XHTML skins that could be good starting points.)

Sure; I can take a look at this today. MediaWiki was only set up just
yesterday, so I haven't had time to arrange a lot of the niceties.