A provocative naming idea for "setter" methods

Peter Hugosson-Miller pehu at im.se
Wed Sep 21 01:37:31 PDT 2005

Brian T. Rice wrote:

>I guess I should point out that I do prefer the "A=" or "=A"
>suggestions over the ones in my original post, which I will agree
>are very confusing and should be considered scrubbed in favor of one
>of those. :)
>
>--
>-Brian

FWIW, I much prefer" =A" of those two,  as it seems the least ambiguous
when viewed with a proportional font.

Whitespace does tend to take up very varying amounts of space when using
a proportional font, and the difference between "A=" and "A =" can
sometimes be, to all intents and purposes, invisible. Since "=A" will
often be the first identifier in a statement, and will always be
followed by whitespace and an expression, it will not lead to ambiguity
nearly as often as "A=" could.

--
Best regards,

Peter Hugosson-Miller