lack of contributors

Mark Haniford markhaniford at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 04:11:47 PDT 2006

I'm in no position to give any advice on what direction Slate should
take at this point.  The only thing I've "contributed" is noticing
something non-portable in boot.c

To me the important ideas about Slate are PMD and an image-based live
environment.  Syntax is important to alot of people, but after
perusing a lot of the mailing list archives on Sunday I thought I
understand that a lot of the "nasty" stuff would be taken care of when
a gui-based development environment came around.

I'm not a systems/compiler guy but is LLVM something that could be
reasonably "dropped in" in a reasonable amount of time?  If Slate
doesn't have a compiler guy then maybe something else could be used in
the mean time while the rest of the system was fleshed out and then at
a later time, a compiler guy could work on another backend.    Too bad
that Slava decided to go in another direction because he seems to be a
coding machine.  Maybe syntax does matter though because that
Forth-like code seems more foreign to me than even Slate/Smalltalk
code.

On a final note of what I can see as good news, it seems that Slate is
still the only project working on PMD.