lack of contributors

Matt Revelle mrevelle at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 07:24:48 PDT 2006

You said it and Brian has said it, the eventual goal of Slate is to
have a development environment that is not limited to simple ascii
text for design.  The assumption now is: the Slate developer(s) are
such awesome, masochistic coders that any scary syntax doesn't matter
much (for now).  The focus should be on the VM and platform features;

At this point, some tutorials to jumpstart the learning process of
potential contributors is enough.  The syntax is most likely to scare
Algol-minded coders; providing translation of idioms between Slate and
C++, Java, etc. is something we need to throw up on the site if we
want to capture the interest of those developers.

On 4/4/06, Mark Haniford <markhaniford at gmail.com> wrote:
> To me the important ideas about Slate are PMD and an image-based live
> environment.  Syntax is important to alot of people, but after
> perusing a lot of the mailing list archives on Sunday I thought I
> understand that a lot of the "nasty" stuff would be taken care of when
> a gui-based development environment came around.

...snip...