Strongtalk VM?

Brian Rice water at tunes.org
Thu Oct 19 16:26:06 PDT 2006

On Oct 16, 2006, at 4:03 AM, Brian Rice wrote:
> On Oct 12, 2006, at 5:35 PM, Mark Haniford wrote:
>> I've seen Brian on the Strongtalk mailinglist, but I thought I
>> would bring up the Strongtalk VM here.  My question is if it could
>> be used for Slate?
>
> Strongtalk has several issues. I'll try to give a quick overview:
> 1) It is not portable at all, designed only for mid-to-late-90s
> Windows on x86 processors. It needs work just to compile with a
> modern MS Visual C++ compiler. The compilation code only deals with
> x86, not just in the dirty details, but in the protocols as well.

This has been fixed now. The Strongtalk VM SVN sources now build and
run from VS 8 as indicated here:
http://groups.google.com/group/strongtalk-general/msg/f9be4c11fae7536c

They still require large vcproj/solution files due to the use of
precompiled headers, so those are attached to Dave Griswold's message
and not in SVN yet. Perhaps that will be rectified soon.

http://briantrice.com