Long-overdue updates

Brian Rice water at tunes.org
Sat Apr 7 17:40:13 PDT 2007

Hello all,

I'd like to revive the Slate project from dormancy in the last very
quiet year, and would just like everyone to know that major overhauls
of the project or code are totally acceptable if it means making it
viable again. Most importantly, run-time improvements for memory
management (generational GC, weak pointers, or manual memory
management support) and the VM (threaded-code vs. bytecode, and most
importantly, dynamic method inlining). Also, if someone wants to just
take the reins and go change things relatively drastically, I will
support that.

I've fixed up the main site homepage to correctly describe what we
want to have environment-wise, compared to Self/Strongtalk: same
optimizations, but self-hosted and in a simpler architecture. I've
also hopefully more accurately described the current state of the
project.

I'm attempting to get the alpha repository to run all build targets
without end-user tweaking. I'll set up some automation so that I can
track this down with minimal effort from here on. I will probably
remove the main/alpha repository distinction for simplicity's sake,
so that it's as simple as possible for a visitor to arrive and get a
usable system.

In other news, I've finally learned how to write web applications
over the last year, so it'll probably be a lot easier for me to
improve the liveliness and feature set of the website.

Suggestions are quite welcome. I'll update as replies on this thread.

http://briantrice.com