UI demo performance, GC

Timmy Douglas lists at timmy.tmbx.com
Tue Mar 20 19:56:39 PDT 2007

Brian Rice <water at tunes.org> writes:

> Note that it uses Squeak-style forwarding pointers which is not the
> same as Lee's choice of card-marking as a scheme for GC. Card-marking
> does have its advantages (which can be found with a little research).
> Mostly I wrote it as an exercise in comparing Pidgin vs. Slang, the C-
> like dialects for VM implementation.

When you say card-marking, are you referring to the kind with
write-barriers that maintain a list of old generation -> new
generation mappings? It seems that the cards in mark-compact.slate just
make sure that stuff on the C stack isn't moved during the garbage
collection.

How many changes would gc.slate have to undergo to be functional? It
looks fairly complete but I can't really understand how it works
without spending a few hours on it. Would you mind telling me in a
sentence how squeak-style forwarding pointers work compared to normal
forwarding pointers?