types and operators

Nathan Hawkins utsl@one.net
Mon, 29 Apr 1996 05:07:34 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 28 Apr 1996, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
>    On Sat, 27 Apr 1996, Francois-Rene Rideau wrote:
>    Re: writing about how to do GC, don't worry about it too much... Somebody
>    must have written some introductory texts, I just haven't found them yet.
>    I keep running into advanced discussions of various ways to do it,
>    written in jargon. (You know, so-and-so's paper presented to the ACM on
>    how to do real-time GC using some special case of a rare GC algorithm no
>    one uses... That sort of thing.)
>
> Sorry I meant to point this towards you earlier but couldn't find my
> reference.  The best introductory texts I know of are in:
>
> Memory Management, International Workshop IWMM 92 Proceedings
> St. Malo, France, September 1992
> Editors: Y.Bekkers, J. Cohen
> Published By: Spriner-Verlag  -- Lecture Notes in Computer Science 637
>
> The first two articles are introductory and very good, but they don't get
> into implementation details.  But as with all scholarly works it also has a
> good bibliography.  If you can find it I recommend it.

Have you (or anyone else) got any online references? I haven't really got
the time or money to hunt up a book right now. :-( I think I saw a URL
for a "GC FAQ", but I lost it, and haven't taken the time to go through a
web search yet.

I have looked at the implementation of a couple Scheme, and frankly, I
have no idea what they're doing.

*utsl*