I'm new...

Francois-Rene Rideau rideau@clipper
Mon, 5 Dec 94 19:16:21 MET

> Then I downloaded the MOOSE stuff.
> There were nice things and a *lot* of ideas. But just ideas.
That's the problem. We must unite to succeed. And we must not
isolate ourselves and end with unusable stuff. Moreover, all
this is quite a lot of work, even for a small team...

> I wanted (and I still want, BTW) write a simple OS.
> Now I'm working on a language (called il) and (shorter prj) on
> an editor, called ilEd. Both with CWEB/C++. On a 286 (!) and
> HP Un*x w/ X-Windows.
> (If you're interested, ilEd will be VERY programmable (emacs-style?),
> both text-mode and graphical, multilingual and will support Unicode...
> I'm still drawing the font...)

> My question is simple...
> I don't know how much you're seriuos about MOOSE-TUNES-[...].
I'm very serious about it. I won't stop until it actually runs.

> I don't know you, and I don't understand if you know each other.
We all met through the net...

> I don't know if you want to write an OS like Linux (no flames)
> or Minix or Xinu or something more or something less.
  We (at least, I) do not want anything like a *n*x clone: there are
already enough of them, and *n*x is not our dream. We want truely the
opposite: something fine-grained, modular (oo ?), without anything like
those macro-kernels (perhaps even no kernel at all). We also want full
hardware transparency: you do never need give more information to the
system than it needs, or choose when you'd like it to choose for you (and
more efficiently than you could, 'cause the system knows better than you
its dynamic state, unless you spent hours studying it, in which cases you
can still *explicitly* choose); also, if you have access rights to some
resource, you needn't explicitly use gateways, through multiple rlogins,
rcp's, ftp's and such: just use resources as if you had them at hand (but
for the speed). Finally, the whole world of computers is considered as one
big network; machines may be blazingly fast linked (two processors on a MP
architectures), quickly linked (fast local network), fairly linked (internet),
slowly linked (modems), or *very slowly linked* (floppies or any kind of
human-manipulated magnetic media), but everything is one world, and the
system must manage network delays and failures transparently.
  As for the interface, it should be powerful (e.g. manipulation of stacks
of objects), but still quick and easy. If enough memory is available for a
help system, such system should be included, polite, and helpful, allowing
non beginners to help the system recover, and beginners to contact
non-beginners and give them enough information to help.

  Well. Enough said.

> (I think that you want THE Operating System. But T.H.E. is old... :)
>
> I don't even understand if I can do something...
Any help is appreciated.

CUL8R

-- Fare -- rideau@clipper.ens.fr -- Francois-Rene Rideau -- +)ang-Vu Ban --
MOOSE project member. OSL developper.                     |   |   /
Dreams about The Universal (Distributed) Database.       --- --- //
Snail mail: 6, rue Augustin Thierry 75019 PARIS FRANCE   /|\ /|\ //
Phone: 033 1 42026735                                    /|\ /|\ /