MISC: Multi-level thinking/development

Chris Harris chharris@u.washington.edu
Wed, 21 Dec 1994 11:09:58 -0800 (PST)

Speaking of fun, do we have a UI project coordinator?  If not, I'd be
happy to volunteer.  =)

More seriously though, I'd like to suggest that we need some kind of
multi-level thinking going on here.  Its great that everyone is thinking
about the LLL, but people should be thinking about the HLL, distribution,
persistant data, and everything else at the same time.  (If we want to
get into money-making business things, as Mike suggested, then perhaps we
ought to have someone to evaluate how well TUNES fits into the business
model.)  Its not possible for each person to do all these things, but
that's why we have so many people.  If we don't take a more global approach
to the problem, the higher-level stuff could be severely limited by the
lower-level decisions, and vice versa.  (Of course, this also doesn't
exclude various mid-level pieces screwing themselves either.)

So maybe becoming UI coordinator isn't so silly right now.  After all,
how long do we want to wait for a decent interface?  All of our end-user
goals won't work without one.

Anyone else have these feelings?

-Chris