MISC: Multi-level thinking/development

Mike Prince mprince@crl.com
Wed, 21 Dec 1994 14:20:07 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 21 Dec 1994, Chris Harris wrote:

> Speaking of fun, do we have a UI project coordinator?  If not, I'd be
> happy to volunteer.  =)

I'd be happy for you to help with that.  Formerly (according to our
charter) I was in charge of it.  But I would be more than happy to hand it
on to you.  The UI is going to be a fun piece of software to work on and
I have lots of ideas of how to do it.

> More seriously though, I'd like to suggest that we need some kind of
> multi-level thinking going on here.  Its great that everyone is thinking
> about the LLL, but people should be thinking about the HLL, distribution,
> persistant data, and everything else at the same time.  (If we want to
> get into money-making business things, as Mike suggested, then perhaps we
> ought to have someone to evaluate how well TUNES fits into the business
> model.)  Its not possible for each person to do all these things, but
> that's why we have so many people.  If we don't take a more global approach
> to the problem, the higher-level stuff could be severely limited by the
> lower-level decisions, and vice versa.  (Of course, this also doesn't
> exclude various mid-level pieces screwing themselves either.)

I totally agree.  Hopefully I'm not ignoring these too much =).  Each
time I make a decision about the LLL I have usually considered it's
ramifications at the higher levels.  In fact some of my ideas may look a
little wierd taken just in the LLL light.  Wait till I show you my
subroutine calling/returning mechanism, it's definitely aimed at more
than low level/local thinking.

Mike