SEC: object security

Mike Prince mprince@crl.com
Tue, 1 Nov 1994 12:09:44 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 1 Nov 1994, Francois-Rene Rideau wrote:

> On architectures with segmenting (e.g. intel 386 family), this may simply
> mean using LDT segment descriptors as object handles !

I don't have a 386 manual around, but isn't the 386 limited in how many
local/global segment descriptors it can have (64K I think?)

A more fundamental question is how many objects should you be able to
have?  It's a low level issue that percolates up to the top.  If my
program assumes it can have a zillion objects, starts running on a
machine that can't even address a zillion objects than we have a problem.

Mike