charter:What do you think?

Mike Prince mprince@crl.com
Mon, 7 Nov 1994 11:37:41 -0800 (PST)

I spent a good portion of last week trying to make the perfect charter.
Making sure it could cover every issue that might come up.  Trying to
make everyone happy.

I became obsessed with doing it RIGHT the first time.

On Saturday night, as I lay falling asleep, I realized we needed to get
back on track and start working again, regardless of the compromise
of (God Forbid) an imperfect charter.

So I gutted it, just left in some basics and most importantly, the
mechanism to change it.  And here it is!

I have left out all the advice of which projects to have.  Kyle was the
most fervent in suggesting new projects, so I suspect this week he will
be heavily campaigning for them.

I have also left the project named Tunes.  Again, I agree that a name
change is probably in order.  Let's all talk about this and try to
resolve it in the next few weeks.

Voting.  Originally I had the elaborate scheme where votes were suggested
to Coordinators who passed them on to voters, etc.  I dumped that.  Now
simply everyone can suggest a vote.  If it gets out of hand (half-baked
ideas, votes called before discussion has really stalled, etc) we can
amend the charter.

To reiterate;  I expect the charter to change a lot.  But I knew our
group was stalling and needed to get back on track.  So here is the
charter in all its imperfection.  Feel free to critique it and modify it
into Swahili as far as I'm concerned.  As long as it gets us where we
want to go.

So who are the Coordinators? Here's our little family tree for now.  I'll
be more than happy to give away any and all positions.

Head Coordinator: Mike

charter: Mike
discussion: Mike
vote: Mike
announce: Mike

Kind of hard to memorize who's in charge of what?

Forgive me that the .charter files for each project are not on the server
an ens.fr yet.  I'll work with Fare to get them in place in the next few
days.

Thanks for your patience while we struggled through this little detail,

Mike