discussion:Where do we go from here?

Mike Prince mprince@crl.com
Mon, 7 Nov 1994 15:23:06 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 7 Nov 1994, Raul Deluth Miller wrote:

> Raul Miller:
> . > also: machine abstraction suitable for describing system
> . > capabilities [for estimation and planning purposes]
>
> Obviously, we're not going to even have good estimates all the time
> (on what kind of resources we're going to need), but we should be able
> to act smart with decent estimates.

I'm very interested in discussing this further.  Perhaps each object
could provide info about it's functionality.  Device specific objects
would be "tied" to a particular machine and could not migrate.  Thus
you'd make a grocery list of needs, and look for a workspace having all
the objects that couldn't be imported in.  The rest could be brought in
and away you'd go.

I'd like to discuss the exact mechanisms for doing this, and aim (of
course) to make them as easy on the machine as possible and not mired in
a complex of protocols and abstraction layers.  As someone else (actually
many have said), keep it clean and mean!

Mike