release 0.0.0.20 and thoughts

Billy Tanksley tanksley@mailhost2.csusm.edu
Mon, 21 Aug 1995 19:39:48 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 18 Aug 1995, Tommy Hallgren wrote:

> Billy Tanksley wrote:

> > If you force virtual memory on everything,
> > many things will have trouble.  If you only provide virtual memory as a
> > service to things that need it, nothing will break.  (Simplified case.
> > Murphy's law may apply otherwise in some finite states.)

> I don't think this is true. There are quite a few programs for the Amiga that
> gives you true virtual memory with no loss of speed. So I guess you are
> wrong, a system with vm isn't neccessary slower than a system without vm.

I didn't say that VM was slower in any universal sense.  It does slow
certain things down at certain times, though (for example, while it's
swapping).

> (MacOs)
> > It's not even object-oriented!

> Ehhh, from what I've heard the MacOs is a very OO OS. But that maybe
   depends on
> the definition of OO?

Doesn't really depend, no.  MacOS is somewhat OO; it has some of the
features.  No definition will allow it to be called "very" OO, though.
Perhaps even some of the true OO OSes couldn't be called very OO!  I
wouldn't be able to guess on that; all I know is Geos, and it looks very
OO to me (I develop for it).

-Billy
What OSes are acknowledged as full OO?  I know about NextStep and Geos.  Any
others?