release 0.0.0.20 and thoughts

Tommy Hallgren SA435@utb.shv.hb.se
Tue, 22 Aug 1995 08:31:43 MET-1MEST

> On Fri, 18 Aug 1995, Tommy Hallgren wrote:
>
> > Billy Tanksley wrote:
>
> > > If you force virtual memory on everything,
> > > many things will have trouble.  If you only provide virtual memory as a
> > > service to things that need it, nothing will break.  (Simplified case.
> > > Murphy's law may apply otherwise in some finite states.)
>
> > I don't think this is true. There are quite a few programs for the Amiga that
> > gives you true virtual memory with no loss of speed. So I guess you are
> > wrong, a system with vm isn't neccessary slower than a system without vm.
>
> I didn't say that VM was slower in any universal sense.  It does slow
> certain things down at certain times, though (for example, while it's
> swapping).

The alternative to swapping is 'Out of memory'. :-) And besides, since the
drive is slow and reading/writing to/from it takes not much CPU, other running
tasks can use the time.

Mvh: Tommy Hallgren(sa435@utb.shv.hb.se) IRC: D-Bug

... A C64 is like a clitoris - It's small,
    pretty badly designed, not very powerful,
    and yet it's one of the best things you'll ever touch...

    - Anonymous at comp.sys.cbm