tunes poll -- please answer

Andy Thornton A.J.Thornton@durham.ac.uk
Fri, 13 Jan 1995 11:49:58 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 9 Jan 1995, Francois-Rene Rideau wrote:

>    Here is a small poll so we know who we are and what we want.
> Please post it to the list so everyone knows, or just to me if you don't
> want other people to know. Or answer that you don't want to answer; or
> answer partially. But please answer so we can count how many we are...
>    To answer, just follow my example in next message...
>
> ------>8------>8------>8------>8------>8------>8------>8------>8------>8------
> *********** Identity ***********
> ** Name:
Andy Thornton
A.J.Thornton@durham.ac.uk
> ** Network capabilities available:
Everything!
> ** Auxiliary network addresses:
ftp://ftp.dur.ac.uk/~d3h6hb
http://www.dur.ac.uk/~d3h6hb/ - not yet running... will be soon!
> ** Physical address:
2 Stonebridge Cottages,
Stonebridge,
Durham,
County Durham,
DH1 3RZ,
England.
> ** Phone Number:
44 (0) 191 384 3408
44 is the UK and the 0 is only needed if you are phoning from within the UK
> ** Birth day (as the age changes every year !):
6/8/75
> ** Work/Study situation:
2nd Year Computer Science Hons Degree Under Graduate at Durham University
(3 year course)
> *********** Computer Background ***********
> ** computer languages fluently spoken (in order of decreasing interest):
C/C++
Modula-2/Pascal
Haskell
Basic
> ** languages I'd like to know:
Self
Smalltalk
> ** The language I'd like to use as Tunes' HLL:
Unsure as yet - it may have to be a hybrid language
> ** political *computer* opinions:
Big corporations = evil (unless you work for them!)
> ** Architectures/OS combination I can work on:
286/386/486 based PC's
Sun3,4 and 5 workstations
HP PARisc workstations

> *********** Parts of the system I'm ready to develop: ***********
> ** New protocols I'd like to design:
User interface and object migration
> ** Existing protocols I'd like to implement:
Any
> ** Architectures I'd help write the low-level stuff for:
486 and any others but you would have to give me time to lear the
assembler...
> *********** Parts of the system I'm eager others to develop: ***********
> ** New protocols I'd like to see designed:
This whole area needs more discussion
> ** Existing protocols I'd like to see implemented:
Pass
> ** Architectures I'd like the system to be ported to:
PowerPC, PA Risc, Transputers

> *********** Project Management ***********
> ** How much I am available:
Depends on work load which is variable probable 4 or 5 hours a week at
minimum
> ** How I think the project could be managed better:
Cut the number of messages which I certainly don't have time to answer
and let everyone get on with a particular part of the system and them
meet in the middle - this will of course require continued discussions.
Increase the S/N ratio!
> ** Sub-project I'm ready to manage:
Object store, or help with UI
> ** What I think about the poll: