TUNES UI

Chris Harris chharris@u.washington.edu
Sun, 19 Mar 1995 13:17:42 -0800 (PST)

Dear Fare,
     I should apologize to you, and the other TUNES people, for not
maintaining the UI stuff better so far.  I'm just a man/boy/whatever of
too many interests, and am having a large difficulty sorting out what is
going to be most important.  I guess my only reasonable excuse is that
most people haven't been doing too much else (except you, of course), but
that doesn't hold up too well.  So I will attempt to make a better
effort, somehow....

     I have a half-completed e-mail about the UI that I might be able to
send out tonight.  Has a half-direction to go in, although it won't be
the most conclusive.  Also could update the mail archive, although that
is less motivating, seeing how it looks like that might have to all be
re-done sometime in the future.

     I don't seem to be understanding active annotations either, and am
also having trouble understanding how you can write code before a HLL
syntax exists.  I would like to help with the syntax, I believe, but we
need a bit more clarification here.  (Have to remember that not all of us
here have been programming for a decade or two.  hehe...)

     I should also let you know that I'll be leaving on Saturday for a
two week trip to Costa Rica.  There might be some time for thinking about
TUNES on the plane trips, but I think we're going to be pretty busy
there, and I do have some homework I need to do too.  Guess I really need
to get something for TUNES done this week!

     Finally, I know I've probably asked this enough times to be really
anoying, but any suggestions you have about what GUI I might be wanting
to learn for UI experiements would be most welcome.  I might still
remember something about mac programming, but I'd rather not touch that
machine, as it uses a  16 mhz 68020, and just isn't fast at all.  I've
played minimally with svgalib for linux, but that's a bit weird and
non-standard.  That leaves X, I guess, but there doesn't seem to be an
easy way to start working with that.  Does this mean we'll have to get a
basic TUNES kernel off the ground before we can really do any work on the
visual side of the UI?  (Is anyone working on a kernel now, by the way?
Sounded like you had some boot code, but what does that involve?  Is our
first version depending on the BIOS, like MOOSE was?  Anything else you'd
like to answer?  =)

-Chris

"Ignorance is bliss, but where do you get the idea that knowledge can't
be even better?" -- me (Chris Harris <chharris@u.washington.edu>)
Check out my web page: http://weber.u.washington.edu/chharris