Tunes

John Carter john@dwaf-hri.pwv.gov.za
Fri, 16 Aug 1996 09:09:58 +0200 (GMT+0200)

Greetings Tuneful folk,

I originally sent this to rideau@ens.fr, but got a mail system message
back saying no such anybody. Anyway, Tunes looks to be such a good
idea, let me give a shout at the list server...

I have been reading your Tunes web pages quite extensively and I am very
interested in what you are doing. I would like to become involved in the
development of Tunes.

Let me give a brief introduction to myself, then maybe you could suggest
where I would be most useful and needed in the project.

I am an Applied Mathematician working in the field of image processing
and modelling, but with a life long disatisfaction with the existing
operating systems and languages I use. Designing a decent language has
been a hobby of mine for a number of years. But as that quote you have
some where suggests, by redesigning computer language systems from
scratch keeps involving me in trying to redesign the universe...

I am fluent in Fortran, Basic, Pascal, Algol, Lisp, Scheme, AWK, Perl,
C, C++ and Actor. I have worked on IBM OS/VS, VM/CMS, Perkin-Elmer,
Burroughs Cande&WFL, UCSD Pascal, Vax-VMS, MS-DOS and Windoze.

Currently I am working in C++ on Linux, and have become very committed
to the goal of "setting the software free".

Long time back I wrote a few macros and a bit of Vax assembler and
created a true Object Oriented Programming system in Vax C. (Yip. The
real stuff. Data encapsulation, Inheritance, Polymorphism the whole
toot. It can be done, with much pain and suffering, even in plain old
K&R C)

Recently I wrote a compiler to byte code + byte code interpretor to do
some rather strange rule based modelling involving paralellism between
various beasties being modelled. I used GNU BISON and FLEX for that
project.

I will get back to you with many more comments and suggestions on
various Web Pages later.

Sleep well,
--
John Carter                    EMail: ece@dwaf-hri.pwv.gov.za
Telephone : 27-12-808-0374x194 Fax:- 27-12-808-0338

Founder of the Council for Unnatural Scientists.