Some comments on HLL/LLL from the peanut gallery

Patrick Premont premont@cs.toronto.edu
Wed, 31 Jan 1996 13:16:40 -0500

>   What I mean is, why does the language matter?  All this focus on one
> language (well, two, the HLL and LLL) is promoting the myth (that Unix may
> have started) that a "portable OS" (and that is what you are designing,
> whether it has a kernel or not) has to be written in one (or in your case,
> two) language(s).

Tunes is not just an OS. It is also a language, the HLL. So we have to
worry about what this language will be. Then we want the system to
be bootstraped so it has to be writen in itself. But of course we
have to start from some other language to solve the cyclical dependency
problem. We need something that we will be able to evolve into
our HLL so we have to worry about that language too.

And finally there is a low level structure upon which we must agree
and that's where the LLL comes in.

Only the HLL will be available to users/programs at first. We intend
to make it so well intergrated into the OS and so great that no one
will want to use other languages. But if they want to develop their
own language in the HLL they will be allowed to. The OS features will
be available through the HLL. (Fare, correct me if I'm wrong here).

This is certainly a very ambitious and unconventional project but that's
why I'm here :)

Patrick