Some comments on HLL/LLL from the peanut gallery

spc@gate.net spc@gate.net
Fri, 2 Feb 1996 02:03:07 -0500 (EST)

On some network somewhere in cyberspace, Francois-Rene Rideau transmitted:

> >   Another suggestion, check out Java.  It may not meet the requirements for
> > the HLL, but as far as the LLL goes, it's already a bytecode system where
> > Java binaries can run, unmodified, on multiple systems.
>    Java is no innovation in that. Do you suggest we use the Java VM as
> our LLL ?

  I realize that Java isn't the first such bytecode system, but it is there.
All I'm suggesting is that you take a look at what they have done, and if
they didn't go a good job, learn from their mistakes.  You might also want
to see if you can get information about other bytecode systems (such as the
UCSD Pascal).

  -spc (Those who do not study the past are condemed to repeat it in the
	future ... or something like that ... )