[Fwd: stuff tunes might use]

Norman Culver ndc@icanect.net
Sun, 19 May 1996 00:03:35 -0400

--------------7F957D47334F

Norman David Culver   ndc@icanect.net  (954)463-4754
Oxbow Software 1323 SE 17th St. Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33316

--------------7F957D47334F

Date: Sat, 18 May 1996 03:21:37 -0400
From: Norman Culver <ndc@icanect.net>
To: rideau@ens.fr
Subject: stuff tunes might use

I've spent about 6 years writing (as a hobby) an application framework
to include a pretty good C compiler with many extensions. The compiler
is multipass and keeps the full AST in core. It can interpret the AST
and `REGENERATE SOURCE' amongst other things. It is also reentrant
so a program which is being compiled/interpreted can call the compiler
recursively? This is a pretty good reflective start methinks.

The compiler generates an Architecture Neutral Format which can
be processed by back ends. I've included a byte code back end +
interpreter. Java is probably a good thing to do next. My byte codes
are currently stored in a.out format. The Java distribution format
is is main reason Java is probably a good thing, it permits on the
fly marshaling for RPC. But I really think that on the fly compiling
would be better. (that was a fuzzy thought)

Also there is a filesystem/database in the framework which really helps
with 'where do you put stuff'.

Anyway, search the Web for OXCC1430.ZIP or above. Once you read the
DOCs let me know if it would be useful. My idea has been to not
seriously release this thing until I can provide a uniform and useable
common code source for remote editing of versions. This business of
having people all over the world doing stuff behind closed doors has led
to the bloat and bugs in the current linux -- LINUX IS DEAD (this came
to me in the last day or two).

Regards,
NDC